[Open-access] Fwd: legal advice on the Creative Commons Attribution Licence (CC BY) re: Open Access

Timothy Vollmer tvol at creativecommons.org
Fri Mar 8 16:37:26 UTC 2013

Thanks for the heads up, Ross. We sent along the response below to Professor
Mandler and Professor Bently, and told them we'd also share it on this
list. We'd like to better understand their concerns, and wanted to provide
some clarifications from the CC perspective.

Best,
timothy

1. As a general matter, as Professor Mandler notes, CC does assume that
permitting liberal reuse of copyrighted works is better than prohibiting
it. One reason for permitting liberal reuse would be to facilitate
unforeseen new uses – for instance, text and data mining – to the extent
such actions are prohibited by copyright law in the first place. In
addition, it's likely the case that teachers who use parts of scholarly
articles and monographs in classes addressed to students of different ages
and educational level need to tailor them to the needs of their students.
That often means excerpting, translating and, to some extent, paraphrasing
them. We perfectly understand that it would be ideal to have only the most
sensitive and experienced translator attempt a translation of a work that
has both literary and intellectual merit, but before that happens, in a
class where the mother tongue of half the students is Spanish, if the
teacher isn’t allowed to make a translation, she won’t use the work. Thus,
the need for licenses that allow for creating adaptations.

2. CC does not suggest that any license can substitute for academic
standards of attribution and courtesy – and copyright law is no substitute
either. Our licenses require that attribution be made as specified by the
licensor, together with a general notice that the original has been
changed, if it has. Different fields have different practices about how
uses made of the works of others are described and sources credited, and
those usages are not preempted by CC licenses. Neither a license nor the
reservation of all rights provided by copyright law protects against
misstatement or misrepresentation of scholarly works. Professor Mandler
says that the standard way of using other people’s work is by quotation,
limited to the length permitted by the fair use/fair dealing provision of
the copyright law. This is, however, often inadequate to an extensive
consideration of the work, so authors resort to writing their own gloss on
it – with no constraints of length or correctness.

3. Professor Mandler makes a most fascinating suggestion about
experimenting with OA for research in the humanities and social sciences.
Some data should be available already – for instance, the journal
Humanities, like other MDPI journals, publishes its contents under a CC BY
license; Digital Humanities Quarterly uses CC BY-NC-ND; and Studia
Humaniora Tartuensia provides only access, with no license at all.

4. Finally, to the extent licensing requires that licensees indicate that
the original work has been changed, we're curious to hear feedback from you
all on how adaptations should be noted. In the most recent draft of the CC
4.0 license (http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/drafts/by_4.0d3.html), it
is handled in this way:

*"indicate if You have modified the Licensed Material and if so supply a
URI or hyperlink to the Licensed Material in unmodified form if reasonably
practicable;"*

Is this a viable solution? If not, what would be better? Note that this
conversation is currently up for public consultation, so we're really
looking for comments on it:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2013-February/007333.html