[Open-access] Global - national scientific information budget

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 14:41:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Laurent Romary <laurent.romary at inria.fr>wrote:

> Thanks. These seems very difficult to find indeed. I guess a priority in
> terms of open information could be the exchange of precise contractual data
> in the domain of scientific information...

The best way to get this is probably by FOI/A. That way the public
organization  (and this includes Universities in UK) HAS to reply. However
many publishers will put confidentiality clauses in and I have not come
across a library which will seriously challenge this. My guess is that
Universities will then say "It's confidential". However it may be worth
pursuing this - it could depend on the precise wording of the FOI by
country.

Brazil (I think) purchases centrally for all Brazilian univs. I think this
is a good idea and suspect they get a better deal than most individual
univs who are probably overwhelmed by publisher salesforce.

P.

Laurent