[Open-access] Even IEEE is going open access...

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 10:30:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Herbert Van de Sompel
<hvdsomp at gmail.com>wrote:

> The term Open Access has by now been so bastardized, abused, and
> re-appropriated that it's probably high time to introduce a new,
> meaningful, term for publication patterns that align with the intent of
> early open access advocates.

Absolutely - Jan Velterop and I have been trying for at least 5 years on
the GOAL list. But we get publicly shouted down, often pretty crudely, by
the "Green" faction who are anti-licence and anti-definitions. "Reach for
the reachable" (i.e. put an "open access" copy in the repo and don't waste
time on definitions till the repos are full).

We have created the OKFN open-access list (copied) to reinforce the need
for clear BOAI-compliant "open access". Let's try to grow a community where
we can have proper discussion and creative activity of how to achieve BOAI
in practice.

P.