[Open-access] Invitation to Hackday - 15 April, London - OpenArticleGauge and tools for license measurement

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Tue Mar 26 13:04:22 UTC 2013

Dear All

As we all know, availability of licensing information is a bit of a pain. It can be difficult, especially at scale to tell what kind of licensing a particular article is made available under, and therefore something of a challenge to tell what you are allowed to do with that individual article.

On 15 April we will be holding a hackday and mini-launch for a new tool built by Cottage Labs and supported by PLOS. The tool tries to determine licensing at the article level based on a DOI or Pubmed ID and could be a very useful piece of infrastructure to support all sorts of use cases from determining what a user is allowed to text or data mine, through to a funder measuring compliance with their policy.

You can see the current beta of the tool at http://iioa.cottagelabs.com and you can see the code base at https://github.com/CottageLabs/IsItOpenAccess/

If you've got an interesting use case for this tool, a complementary tool, or just an interest in expanding the number of publisher plugins we have available then we'd love to have you along. How can we combine this with other work in the space and what are the things we haven't yet thought of that could be fun to do? You don't need to be able to code to take part!

Please reply to me so I can organise catering and start to collect some initial ideas together for the day. We will start around 10am at Jisc Collections, Brettenham House 5 and finish at around 6pm with the option of moving to a local hostelry to continue.

Cheers

Cameron