[Open-access] Nature runs a special edition on "the future of publishing" (a few fails inside)

Douglas Carnall dougie.carnall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 19:10:29 UTC 2013

On 27 March 2013 19:34, Rayna <rayna.st at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you attempt to read some of the commentaries, chances are big you face a
> paywall (examples with John Wilbanks's piece + one entitled "Advocacy: How
> to Hasten Open Access").

This is the well-known open access irony effect: a miscellany of links
on the theme for them's as like that sorta thing:

https://pinboard.in/u:juliusbeezer/t:irony/

> Enjoy when possible...

Wilbanks' effusion is now available via his site:

http://del-fi.org/post/46445456345/a-fools-errand-annotated

FWIW, I think Wilbanks is insufficiently cynical about the motivations
of the FUD-ites, splitters, and one-note one-man bands who populate
the OA universe, some are useful idiots, some doubtless in funded
through the pockets of the legacy publishers.

There's a fair amount of money at stake and it would be extremely
surprising if it anything other than a filthy battle full of
corruption and lies transpired.

Ho hum!

Regards to all,

D.