[Open-access] Fwd: My Comments on ICAR's Open Access Policy

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri May 17 09:47:01 UTC 2013

Agreed. It is CRUCIAL to get rid of NC, otherwise:
* the policy does not describe "open access" as originally defined
* materials released under the NC licence can't be used in Wikipedia
* neither can they be used in leading OA journals such as BMC, PLOS,
eLife and PeerJ

Heather Piwowar said it best: "we do research not just to KNOW more
but to DO more". In general, NC clauses prevent much of the doing even
when they allow the knowing.

Although in principle I see the value of the SA clause, it too is
problematic for practical reasons. Most importantly, it's not
acceptable downstream by pure CC By venues like BMC, PLOS, eLife and
PeerJ, because the SA bit is viral and infects whatever the material
is incorporated into.

The correct licence for open access is CC By. This conclusion has been
reach repeatedly by many excellent organisations that have looked into
it.

-- Mike.