[Open-access] [GOAL] Submission to ICAR on its Open Access Policy 2013 Draft

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Sun May 19 19:26:39 UTC 2013

Excellent work, Sridhar.

I would strongly recommend, however, removal of reference to the CC-BY
license. This is NOT in the best interests of Indian scholars or
Indian research funders. This gives blanket commercial rights to
anyone, anywhere downstream, with absolutely no obligation for
reciprocity. That is, if CC-BY becomes the default, it is quite
possible that a next generation of research tools will be built by the
commercial sector on a for-pay basis with no obligation to provide
affordable pricing for countries like India - who could easily end up
one step ahead (getting the benefits of open access to the kinds of
publications produced now), but two steps behind (locked out of access
to the next generation tools).

This is section that I am referring to - I would suggest simply
removing the whole section.

12. All the ICAR institute’s website content, print/digital
publications, meta-data and full-texts in repositories are to be
licensed for public use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 (CC-
BY 3.0) Unported License

I acknowledge that many of my colleagues in the open access movement
are strong proponents of CC-BY licensing, and that there are positive
as well as negative implications of using this license. This is a
topic that I have explored and continue to explore in some depth -
links to some of my writings including my submission to the UK BIS
committee can be found from here:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2012/10/critique-of-cc-by-series.html

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
Freedom for scholarship in the internet age
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12537