[Open-access] Submission to ICAR on its Open Access Policy 2013 Draft

Stevan Harnad harnad at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 20 13:32:25 UTC 2013

Crucial strategic distinctions:

Immediate-deposit should be required.

Immediate-OA to the immediate-deposit should be recommended,
not required.

CC licenses should be recommended, not required.

Reasons:

Immediate-deposit cannot be embargoed by publishers.

Immediate-OA can be embargoed by publishers.

Requiring CC licenses encourages publisher embargoes (against
immediate free-riding from rival publishers)

All fields, authors and users want and need online access

But not all fields, authors and users want and need the same CC
licenses

Immediate-deposit can be mandated globally, by institutions and funders.

Once immediate-deposit mandates prevail globally, all the rest of the
things all fields, authors and users  want and need will follow:

1. the death of embargoes,
2. the end of subscriptions
3. publishers downsizing and converting to Gold OA
4.  all the CC rights each field, author and user wants and needs

But not if we insist on 1-4 in advance.

Dixit.

Stevan Harnad