[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Re: Fight Publishing Lobby's Latest "FIRST" Act to Delay OA - Nth Successor to PRISM, RWA etc.

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 17:06:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Bjoern Brembs <b.brembs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Eric,
>
> I am so completely and utterly on your page. This is precisely the way we
> need to go and every library meeting I speak at confirms this view:
> everyone I meet there gives me the feedback that they're ready to go for it.

The page is getting a bit crowded, and somewhat illegible!

Of course Eric, Bernard and I agree on the advantages of distributed
institutional repositories over central ones (for direct deposit -- central
repositories are fine for export or harvesting).

And that agreement is not ideological but practical.

But as for librarians getting out of the business of subscribing to
journals -- that's just ideology (and completely unrealistic) as long as
authors don't into the business of self-archiving their published articles
in their institutional repositories.

And that's precisely what Green OA mandates are for.

Without an effective Green OA mandate, institutional repositories are
useless (for OA).

Users need access, now, and if they can't have open access, they at least
need as much subscription access as their institutions can afford.

May I suggest that we clearly distinguish our practical points from those
that are merely ideological desiderata and wishful thinking?

Stevan Harnad