[Open-access] [GOAL] Re: Re: Fight Publishing Lobby's Latest "FIRST" Act to Delay OA - Nth Successor to PRISM, RWA etc.

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Fri Nov 29 23:30:54 UTC 2013

The technology to do all of this already exists. Most of the STEM metadata
you describe is actually directly available in Medline, and the core parts
can be used as per the open biblio principles. Crawling the websites is
already possible using pubcrawler and other tools, and finding out what
their stated licence status is can be done with howopenisit (although more
often than not the answer is "not properly defined").

However the hard part is not building or running these things or collecting
all the data, but sustaining it in and imbuing it with credibility.

For example I can run a server with all this on it at not too much personal
expense, but who would treat it as a serious source? Scaling up to handle a
large amount of users and providing a good service does cost money, which I
(we) could probably find a way to fund - but even then, we still have to
solve that credibility problem. It has to be known by those in or entering
the field that "this is where you go to find this stuff" - as opposed to
the current "go to the library and follow all the rules" approach.

Mark