[Open-access] The Wellcome Trust says thank you

Michelle Brook michelle.brook at okfn.org
Thu Apr 3 10:27:20 UTC 2014

Hey all,

The Wellcome Trust has just said thank you to the community for the work
we've been doing on the author processing charge dataset they released:
https://twitter.com/wellcometrust/status/451659293801340928

That's so awesome!

The work we've done led to an incredible statement from the Wellcome Trust
late last week, that you should certainly read if you've not seen it yet
(found here<http://blog.wellcome.ac.uk/2014/03/28/the-cost-of-open-access-publishing-a-progress-report/>).
It includes some awesome quotes, such as:

"We expect *every* publisher who levies on open access fee to provide a
first class service to our researchers and their institutions."

"The bigger issue concerns the high cost of hybrid open access publishing,
which we have found to be nearly twice that of born-digital fully open
access journals. We need to find ways of balancing this by working with
others to encourage the development of a transparent, competitive and
reasonably priced APC market."
While debates may rage about whether journal led or repository led open
access is the best way forwards, I think we can all agree that high APCs
charged for papers published in hybrid journals (meaning these journals are
also supported by library subscriptions) is not what we really want to see.

They couldn't have made this statement without the effort of many people on
this list - so many thanks to all of you who spent time working on it. I
actually had a couple of nightmares about the spreadsheet... which probably
says something about me. I've written a quick post thanking people
<http://access.okfn.org/2014/04/01/wellcome-trust-apc-data-thank-you/>
publicly,
because the effort we've all put in is certainly worth recognising :-)

(Let me know if I've missed your name off, as there were many people
editing the document anonymously - I've already had one case flagged to me
- so please don't feel bad about reminding me).

Work is still on going with the dataset... but I still can't believe how
much we've done in such a short time! And still amazed that we've enabled
the Wellcome Trust to make the statement they did...

Michelle

--

*Michelle Brook*

*Science and Open Access*