[Open-access] HEFCE OA policy and the issue around date of acceptance

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:02:13 UTC 2014

(1) Acceptance date is a known, natural, explicit, precise, date-stamped
point in the work-flow of every author for every published paper; it is
also the natural point at which to deposit.

(2) Publication date is not known in advance to the author, and often has
little to do with the actual date of publication, which can diverge by as
much as 12 or more months from the official calendar date of the issue of
the journal (with the actual date of appearance almost always later than
the published calendar date). At a time when we are already struggling with
publishers' OA embargoes of 6-12 months or more, it would be a terribly bad
idea to peg compliance with the HEFCE/REF policy on the official
publication date.

(3) Moreover, the HEFCE/REF policy concerns date of *deposit*, not date of
OA, and this is the policy's most important feature, and the key to its
power to generate compliance as well as to monitor compliance.

(4) It is true that acceptance date cannot be known in advance (and the
university has no way of knowing it), but if the HEFCE policy is to deposit
immediately upon acceptance, the author knows when that date comes, and the
institution can (and should) require date-stamping to confirm that the
deposit is immediately upon acceptance (with a maximum grace period of 3
months).

(5) Once the publication appears officially, that triggers a retrospective
check by the software, *to confirm that it had been deposited upon
acceptance*, otherwise it is not eligible for REF 2020.

(6) The repository software tracks date of deposit; the institution can add
a metadata field for date of acceptance, and can even require that the
acceptance letter be deposited (in closed access) to verify the timing. (In
practice, apart from the first year or two of the policy, once researchers
have adopted the habit of immediate-deposit, the mature policies report
that everything goes smoothly with only the occasion spot-checking needed).

(7) *It would be the worst possible policy, to rely upon publishers in any
way in any of this*, especially in helping to ensure immediate deposit.
There is an immense conflict of interest, and the purpose of all of this is
to ensure that deposit is freed from the grip of publishers with their
embargoes and access denials. *Please do not turn to them in setting up the
compliance monitoring mechanism*.

Stevan Harnad

*Dr Torsten Reimer, Imperial College*: