[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:24:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

There are also figures for the Netherlands : the following citation is from
a blog by wouter Gerritsma: See also the comments herein.
http://wowter.net/2014/03/05/costs-going-gold-netherlands/

 the current spending on journal subscriptions in the Netherlands by Dutch
Universities, [which] is about € 34 million per year Euro at the moment
According to this going full open access in journals would cost €44 million
  ie €10 million extra each year.
At the time  have commented on the blog and came to a quite different
conclusion. I reasoned that the cost in case of 100% open access shoiuld be
compared to the current subscription cost of 34 M + the 4 M spend on Open
Access.
The cost of open access would then become 32,6M compared with the current
38M, which is thus even cheaper!
This topic has been discussed in a thread on the OKF  open access list in
march 2014.
from this discussion I want to repeat the following:
*This figure"(32,6Million) is still 14,2 % less than the 38 Million cost of
the current subscription + oa publications in NL.*
*This is very interesting to know, since other calculations  have often
claimed that full open access would become many times more expensive (than
the current cost situation), see for example RCUK.*
*In spite of these new favorable data, the most important argument for me
to plead for 100 % open access is that it enables open science . That is
when we consider the form of open access with unrestricted re-use. This
form will also give the largest return on investment and apart from the
economic benefits it will have a huge social impact (education, informed
citizens, political transparency and more). We have to keep remembering
that free access alone is not enough.*
*And although I prefer to use the term journal based open access instead of
Golden open access, I do think that in the 100 % open access situation in
the future  publications may also be non-journal based in the conventional
sense, for instance MegaJournal or platform based*

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Bjoern Brembs <b.brembs at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I commented on Gowers' post, these figures (not by publisher but by
> library) are open knowledge in Germany:
>
> http://www.hbz-nrw.de/angebote/dbs/
>
> German libraries spent in 2011
>
>     170 million € on books
>     130 million € on subscriptions
>
> http://blogarchive.brembs.net/comment-n900.html
>
> Here the link to an English overview for 2012 (2013 is still in the works):
>

> http://www.hbz-nrw.de/dokumentencenter/produkte/dbs/aktuell/auswertungen/gesamt/dbs_gesamt_engl_12.pdf
> These figures are broken down in different sections in several documents -
> but all of these are in German only.
>
> Bjoern
>
> On Thursday, April 24, 2014, 11:47:22 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Thanks Peter - looping the open access working group into this
> discussion.
>

> > Michelle
>

> > On 24 April 2014 19:29, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Michelle Brook has written a very good overview of this
> > (http://access.okfn.org/2014/04/24/the-cost-of-academic-publishing/)
> > which you should read first.
>

> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Mark Wainwright
> > <mark.wainwright at okfn.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  Tim Gowers has written a new post in which he tries to establish some
> >  facts that might bear on the Open Access debate. It's long but
> >  excellent.
> >

> > http://gowers.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/elsevier-journals-some-facts/
> >
> >  Mark
> >
> >  --
> >  Open Data Evangelist
> >  The Open Knowledge Foundation
> >  Empowering through Open Knowledge
> >  http://okfn.org/  |  @opendatamark
> >

> > --
> > Peter Murray-Rust
> > Reader in Molecular Informatics
> > Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> >  University of Cambridge
> > CB2 1EW, UK
> > +44-1223-763069

> Björn Brembs

Tom Olijhoek
Codex Consult
www.codexconsult.eu
coordinator @ccess open access working group  at OKF
DOAJ  member of Advisory Board
freelance advisor for the WorldBank Publishing Group
TEL +(31)645540804
SKYPE tom.olijhoek
Twitter   @ccess
LinkedIn  http://nl.linkedin.com/in/tomolijhoek/