[Open-access] [open-science] First copy costs of scientific articles - a short overview

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 14:50:45 UTC 2014

Excellent

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Ulrich Herb <u.herb at scinoptica.com> wrote:

> Dear Peter, dear lists,

> Can you define what "first copy costs" are?
>
> There the problem starts, because there is no definition of the first copy
> costs.  Basically I would say these are the pure production costs of an
> article including salaries for authors (if paid :-))copy-editing, editorial
> work, the organisation of the peer review and the certification of the
> content but without margins, costs for hosting, costs for authentication in
> the case of closed access articles, salaries for non-authors, ... that's at
> least what I tried to extract from the literature for the table.

That's roughly what I thought it was. I'd leave out author costs because
they could be very variable and very large and overlap with the research.

>>  closed access articles, salaries for non-authors,

I don't understand this - it should be independent of closed/open.

There *are* additional costs for closed, such as firewall maintenance,
layers, writing DRM, etc but they shouldn't be included.