[Open-access] [open-science] First copy costs of scientific articles - a short overview

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 15:38:23 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Ulrich Herb <u.herb at scinoptica.com> wrote:

>  There *are* additional costs for closed, such as firewall maintenance,
>> layers, writing DRM, etc but they shouldn't be included.
>>

> Absolutely! I summarized these points under authentication, but perhaps it
> does not exactly express what I wanted to say: Expenses for locking humans
> and machines out. That's what I meant with "costs for authentication in the
> case of closed access articles", the costs for maintaining a closed access
> infrastructure.

It's obviously very difficult to get this figure - but I would
 conceptually separate the production of the final digital object from its
delivery (you had already removed "hosting").

If we compare the price to buy against our estimates of the raw production
cost we get some idea of the other costs. Nature will argue that the huge
cost is because they reject 95% of the submissions and spent time sending
them back to authors etc.