[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Eric F. Van de Velde eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 21:21:05 UTC 2014

Someone compared Elsevier's profit margins to those of Apple. If one
strikes us as excessive and the other as admirable, compare their
respective investments in research and development. It is safe to say that
Apple takes far greater risks, requires far greater up-front investments,
and needs a level of expertise that exceeds that of any publisher by orders
of magnitude.

Yet, Elsevier has a large profit margin, because it provides a service that
people/institutions are willing to pay for. The question is why.

Could it be because people do not pay for Elsevier services? Institutions
pay, and they pay with other people's money, be it government subsidies,
student tuition and fees, etc.

There is no point in vilifying any group. Everyone is just working within
an existing structure that, because of technology, has now become totally
obsolete. The problem, no one seems to have the courage to really break it
up.

With apologies for the title, but this old post is still relevant:
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2012/11/hitler-mother-teresa-and-coke.html

--Eric.

--Eric.

http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com