[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Apr 30 21:23:11 UTC 2014

For myself, I couldn't care less about profit margins provided that
(A) those profits are made by creating rather than destroying value,
and (B) there is a true market rather than a monopoly. So if PeerJ
could make a 90% profit-margin on their $99 APCs, good luck to them.

The problem with Elsevier isn't the 40% profit margin per se. It's (A)
that they make that 40% not by making works available but by
preventing the world from accessing them; and (B) they're able to
perpetuate that only because they have a monopoly on the content in
their journals. Oh, and (C) they just have a really terrible product,
full of bugs that they show no signs of interest in fixing. And all
the stuff that Peter mentioned.

-- Mike.