[Open-access] A map of publicly funded work in the UK for a campaign for open license for publicly funded work

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 13:28:58 UTC 2014

The classic is Rufus Pollock's work on the value to UK PLC if map data was
open. Roughly Ordnance survey generates 100 Million GBP from maps, licences
BUT massive opportunity cost. If open the value to UK PLC would be about
500 million. No doubt Rufus will correct figures.

In my slides I quote Batelle survey on human genome - 1 dollar generates
180 dollars. Slightly flawed as other technologies and developments also
contribute - I'd go for 18.

I'm listening to BBC news where "1 pound on infrastructure generates 2.5
pounds of value" (would like firmer figures). We have to get an economist
who cretaes a similar figure for Open. Then government can use this.