[Open-access] NISO Recommendations on Open Access Metadata

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Jan 7 10:29:17 UTC 2014

The thing that could save this would be a registry of licence URLs, so
that a CC By document ALWAYS uses (say)
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/
(even though that resolves to a "not found page") rather than
        https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
Or any of the other many other credible candidate URLs

Software needs to be able to do something very simple:
        if (!strcmp(licenceURL, "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/") ...
otherwise people are surely going to implement swathes of error-prone
and mutually incompatible heuristics.

-- Mike.