[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Pierre-Carl Langlais pierrecarl.langlais at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 13:05:45 UTC 2014

Thanks for this insightful explanation, that answers several of my
questions.

For one point, everything you say about CC-BY-SA goes also for CC-BY (in
a less clear way : the viral mechanism of the "no additional
restriction" specification remains unprecised).

The issue of data is in fact quite specific and Creative Commons are
perhaps not the best tool to deal with that. Data, per se, are part of
the informationnal public domain. They can never claim for any kind of
protection (though we may consider that any attempt of "protecting" the
individual data falls into the case of copyfraud). Most downstream
application that makes an inventive use of individual data are never
concerned with any kind of intellectual property (which includes CC
licences for that sake). The protection only goes for something quite
unclear: the substantial part of a database. The jurisprudence remains
quite fuzzy. In France, most attemps to reclaim protection of a database
have been rejected. In 1988, the Court of Cassation favored a database
company, against the leading French newspaper, le Monde as the use of
articles as data appeared "highly transformative". More recently, in
2005, another leading French newspaper, Ouest-France was dismissed in a
similar way.

It's in french, but you can read the recommandations I adressed to the
French Intellectual Property Council with Lionel Maurel:
http://www.savoirscom1.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Synthe%CC%80se-sur-le-statut-le%CC%81gal-du-content-mining.pdf

We argued in favor of clearly stating that data, per se, are part of the
informationnal public domain. Use of substantive part of data should be
clarified, through the creation of a « fair dealing ». I guess a lot of
work could be done in order to enhance this tricky legislation.

PCL