[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Fri Jan 24 14:35:28 UTC 2014

For the purposes of full understanding of the implications of the CC-BY: I argue that RightsLink is perfectly within its legal rights to sell CC-BY licensed articles whether revenues are shared with the publisher or simply kept by RightsLink. This is a commercial use of the work, hence pre-authorized through the use of the CC-BY license. CC-BY does not impose an obligation on a downstream user to direct customers to free versions, merely a negative obligation to not actively prevent use of free versions. Further I argue that while there are many grey areas where there is no consensus on what constitutes commercial use, the RightsLink example - selling CC-BY articles for a profit - is a clearcut, straightforward, obvious commercial use. That is, if you don't want people to take your work and sell it for a profit, don't use CC-BY.

Note that this is not an argument for NC. No CC license requires "free of charge". An argument could be made that RightsLink could provide NC licensed articles, charging for their own service but not royalties for the article per se unless by arrangement with a copyright holder. Similarly if you print out an NC article you likely are paying for the paper and printing; this is not a commercial use of the article itself.

best,

Heather Morrison