[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Fri Jan 24 18:35:13 UTC 2014

CC-BY makes the RightsLink type of service far more likely by explicitly permitting commercial uses.

As for this being a low-profit enterprise, note that scholarly publishing is a multi-billion dollar industry with some of the largest publishers bringing in 30-40% profit margins.

Do companies pursuing profit necessarily care about the approval of scholars? Note that "e" in Elsevier has been translated as evil by many scholars and the librarians who pay the subscriptions for decades - this has had absolutely no impact on the bottom line.  The "cost of knowledge" Elsevier boycott got their attention a little (and a bit of change in the area of mathematics), but no impact on profits. Ultimately a corporation reports to its shareholders, not scholars or readers. All else being equal I'm sure they would prefer that we like them too, but when the two values are in conflict (scholar approval and maximum profit), they are legally required to prioritize profit. That's how publicly traded corporations work.

best,

Heather Morrison