[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Mon Jan 27 15:00:55 UTC 2014

Taxpayer access is a strong argument for open access but subject to this particular counter-argument.

To counter the counter-arguments it is important to speak to the indirect as well as the direct benefits of open access to taxpayer research. Direct benefits are when the taxpayer can read the results of the research themselves (subject to nationalist arguments).

Indirect benefits include advancing the research. Examples:

If a foreign researcher can contribute towards the cure or treatment for cancer we're supporting through our tax dollars, this gets us to our goal faster (speeds the research) and is financially beneficial (others contribute to pay for what we want).

If another country is able to stop a communicable disease within their borders because we have shared our knowledge with them, they benefit, but so do we - this lowers the odds that we will have to deal with the disease.

If anyone, anywhere, can figure how ways to achieve cheap, clean energy sources, and shares their knowledge with all, everyone benefits.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor