[Open-access] [open-science] Open Science Anthology published

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Mon Jan 27 23:22:11 UTC 2014

for Bjoern and Graham:

No license can prevent misquotes, granted. Two things that are different about CC licenses permitting derivatives:

1. Proactive encouragement of creation of derivatives (otherwise why use these licenses?). If these licenses have any effect at all, they will result in the creation of more derivatives. It seems logical that this will increase the likelihood of both positive and negative derivatives; this means greater potential for misquotes.

2. If I do not license my work in a way that explicitly permits downstream derivatives and someone misquotes me, it is clearly their fault. However, if I have explicitly permitted derivatives, an argument can be made that subsequent misquotes are to some extent my fault.

For this reason, I argue that if scholars perceive greater risks than potential benefits from allowing derivatives, they should not be required to use CC derivative licenses.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor