[Open-access] WHO's new vision

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 22:38:12 UTC 2014

I share your concerns. The WHO is an international organization and I
believe traditional copyright does not apply. However here is its own
declaration:
http://www.who.int/about/copyright/en/

<quote>

The information in the various pages of the WHO web site is issued by the
World Health Organization for general distribution. The information
presented is protected under the Berne Convention for the Protection of
Literature and Artistic works, under other international conventions and
under national laws on copyright and neighbouring rights. Extracts of the
information in the web site may be reviewed, reproduced or translated for
research or private study but not for sale or for use in conjunction with
commercial purposes.

Any use of information in the web site should be accompanied by an
acknowledgment of WHO as the source, citing the uniform resource locator
(URL) of the article. Reproduction or translation of substantial portions
of the web site, or any use other than for educational or other
non-commercial purposes, require explicit, prior authorization in writing.
Applications and enquiries should be addressed to the programme responsible
for the page used.
</quote>

My hope is that with constant pressure WHO will come to see the value of an
explicitly more liberal statement.