[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Wed Mar 19 22:32:06 UTC 2014

Hi Theo

I've completed the BMJ Group section, but I was really struggling with the
cell validation, the drop downs weren't appearing so I've put the details
in the notes column to be copied across.

As a side note, my search for the licenses highlighted an interesting
licensing policy:
Where an Open Access fee is paid

   - Authors of work funded by the Research Council UK (e.g. Medical
   Research Council) or Wellcome Trust should select the Creative Commons
   Attribution (CC BY 3.0)
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>licence during the
submission process.
   - If your research is supported by any other funder your work will be
   licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial licence
   (CC BY-NC 3.0) <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/>.

So for the same fee, the source of your funding determines how restrictive
a license is applied, if I'm funded by e.g. CRUK and want CC-BY licensing I
can't have it. Is this common? It's the first time I've seen this
particular formulation although I know NPG charge more for CC-BY than
CC-BY-NC...

I don't know how long this has been in place, but Wellcome Trust funded
researchers are not often picking the CC-BY option, only 7/58 articles on
the sheet were CC-BY.

I'm afraid this is probably as much as I'll manage this week - good luck
and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the data!

Jenny