[Open-access] I dropped the “NC” from my Creative Commons License

Omega Alpha | Open Access oa.openaccess at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:49:31 UTC 2014

I dropped the “NC” rom my Creative Commons License
<http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/i-dropped-the-nc-from-my-creative-commons-license/>

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, but I was finally pushed into action by a post I read this morning on Hugh Rundle’s blog. What did I do? I dropped the “NC”--the non-commercial use stipulation--on the Creative Commons license I’ve been using on my blog. Rundle writes:

Originally I chose a CC-BY-NC license because I didn’t like the idea of some commercial publisher selling my work as part of a package. Partially this was me thinking “If they’re going to charge, I should get a cut" and partially "They shouldn’t be allowed to charge people for my work that I give away for free". I am sure you have discerned that these two thoughts are contradictory.

Actually, I’ve never cared about "getting a cut." But as an open access advocate I was definitely concerned that a commercial interest not be able to profit from work that I was giving away for free. I reasoned the added friction of the “NC" would serve as a deterrent. …

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
Advocate for open access publishing in religion and theology
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com
oaopenaccess at gmail dot com
@OAopenaccess