[Open-access] The costs for going Gold in the Netherlands

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 05:49:27 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 11:59 PM, Gerritsma, Wouter wrote:
> For two working groups of the Dutch University libraries I was asked
> to make a calculation for the costs of a 100% Gold open access model.
>
> It will only costs 10.5 million euro extra was my conclusion.
>
> Blogged at http://wowter.net/2014/03/05/costs-going-gold-netherlands/

Wait a minute - you count about 1000EUR per article in APCs. This would
amount to 40m in total costs, while subscriptions are actually CHEAPER?
World-wide, the subscription cost pr article is about 5k$, while in the
Netherlands you pay less than 1kEUR per article? How does your country
manage to pay less than 20% of the average subscription fees compared to
the rest of the world? Are you subscribing to so many fewer journals
compared to the articles you publish? That's astounding!

Bjoern