[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 14:42:41 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

I will ask my colleagues, but my belief is that CC does not want to be seen as an enforcer. For one, CC has no legal standing to be the enforcer; it is the licensor who applied the license in the first place who has licensed her rights, so she is the enforcer. In this case, perhaps the entire research community as a whole is a very good proxy for each individual author. As a last resort, of course, the courts are the enforcer.

Finally, speaking as completely not-a-lawyer, there really is nothing to enforce here. What WB is doing is misrepresenting the license (I am not sure what kind of law it breaks) but they are not violating the license by stating some incorrect nonsense. I can imagine me, as a user, downloading stuff from WB and commercially exploiting it. It would fall on WB to stop me, and they would fail because the license explicitly permits me to do so.

That all said, nothing like a good public-relations storm to set these corps right.

--
Puneet Kishor