[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Bjoern Brembs b.brembs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 13:14:46 UTC 2014

On Monday, March 24, 2014, 11:29:35 AM, you wrote:

> I think we have to get this issue to citizens get them to
> demand info from universities lobby politicians etc

Actually, I think this is something we don't even need the help of citizens or politicians for: we control library budgets.

I've said so before and I'll say it here again: we need to get funding to our university libraries (IMHO by cutting subscriptions) and make sure they hire people with the right expertise and mindset for that money. This is something we are perfectly capable of doing ourselves, without any help from politicians, citizens, or anybody else who might be bought.

If we really want and need it, we can do this - all it takes is 10-20 institutions with sufficiently large subscription budgets, to make a start.

Best,

Bjoern

--
Björn Brembs