[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Mon Mar 24 16:35:40 UTC 2014

Hi Theo, all,

I have taken the spreadsheet data and stuck it through the usual processes
I have been using to analyse and visualise stuff for my phd. I can update
this as the spreadsheet becomes more complete.

Attached is a preliminary screenshot, which does not have useful stuff like
explanations, but I am working on adding more. What you can immediately
tell is that Hybrid OA (the orange bubble in the middle) has a
significantly larger "ecosystem" around it. All the tiny blue dots are the
articles listed in the spreadsheet, and the grey-ish dots they cluster
around are the publishers of those articles.

The orange dot at the top is the Pure OA. The large cluster to the left of
that is PLOS, and the ones above are BioMed Central - so you can see all
PLOS ones are Pure OA, whereas the BioMed ones are a mix of Pure OA and
something else.

The four clusters in the middle, between Pure and Hybrid, are OUP, Elsevier
Cell Press, NPG, and BMJ. Then around the Hybrid bubble we find Wiley,
Elsevier, Springer, etc.

If you want to explore further and try different combinations such as
journals and licence types, try using the visual interface here:

http://phd.cottagelabs.com/wellcome

I am working to improve the UI there, and it is still just an unstable
prototype, so don't try to rely on it for anything serious at the moment.
However you can use the search suggestion dropdowns to quickly see
duplicate IDs, find the top journal title, the top publisher, etc, and
filter the vis by them.

Theo - I would like to follow up with you re. this and other phd stuff. I
will email you separately.

Mark