[Open-access] Crowdsourcing request + BMJ OA Policy

Mark MacGillivray mark at cottagelabs.com
Tue Mar 25 12:29:38 UTC 2014

How to make a printed copy "stable":

* make lots of copies. Give them a name. Put them in rooms. Put people in
those rooms to look after them.

* hope that people reference it properly. They probably will.

* hope that things stay as they were, where they were, when you last saw
them. They probably will.

* hope that the room does not go anywhere. It probably won't.

* if things change unexpectedly, have someone fix it.

* when errors, or the unexpected, arise, hope that others can spot and work
around them. They probably can.

How to make a digital copy "stable":

* make lots of copies. Give them a name. Put them in "rooms". Put people
"in" those rooms to look after them.

* hope that people reference it properly. They probably will.

* hope that things stay as they were, where they were, when you last saw
them. They probably will.

* hope that the "room" does not go anywhere. It probably won't.

* if things change unexpectedly, have someone fix it.

* when errors, or the unexpected, arise, hope that others can spot and work
around them. They probably can.

The difference? Technology.

The similarity? People.

The illusion? Stability.