[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Fabiana Kubke mf.kubke at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:15:16 UTC 2014

I am a bit late to the discussion - but if anyone is interested there is
interesting data on library expenditures in New Zealand and Australia here
http://statistics.caul.edu.au/inst_data.php
If I read hte data correctly, New Zealand spends about 50 million p.a. (NZ
Dollars) in serial subscriptions. This does not include the copyright
licencing fees that allow the reuse for education (as far as I understand).

-F

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> On Apr 30, 2014, at 1:59 PM, Bjoern Brembs <b.brembs at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe I can understand what this is all about, if someone can explain
> to me what giving Elsevier a rap on the knuckles should actually accomplish
> in the grand scheme of things?
> >
> > I didn't mean to derail the conversation nor make it focus (or not) on a
> specific publisher. My intent was to determine if the fight is to lower the
> profits for the publishers or to make them do what they promised and what
> the researchers expect them to do?
> >
> > Personally, I am more interested in the latter than in the merits or
> demerits of unbridled capitalism, but I understand different strokes move
> different folks.
>
> It's a shame to couch it in terms of 'capitalism', pulls triggers for
> distracting explosions.
>
> I guess we most of us agree that, if Elsevier is using an effective
> monopoly to take large amounts of money from academia for a service
> that could be much cheaper, then that's worth talking about.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

M Fabiana Kubke
Chair Advisory Panel Creative Commons Aotearoa New
Zealand<http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/>
Department of Anatomy | University of Auckland | New Zealand
(+64) 9 373-7599 Ext 86002 | (+64)9 923 6002 (direct) | Mobile: (+64) 210
437 121

Skype: superfabs | http://twitter.com/Kubke | http://twitter.com/DrKupcake|
http://blogs.plos.org/mindthebrain/ | http://kubke.wordpress.com |
http://buildingblogsofscience.wordpress.com |