[Open-access] CC Non-Commercial not suitable for teaching - Was: [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Sander van der Waal sander.vanderwaal at okfn.org
Fri May 2 14:47:43 UTC 2014

On 2 May 2014 16:40, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM, ANDREW Theo <Theo.Andrew at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  > I would think that copyright law always includes fair use policy
>> which applies especially to use for educational purposes?
>>

>> Not so – organisations (universities, hospitals) pay millions of pounds a
>> year for the privilege of photocopying published material.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>>  In the UK this activity is coordinated by the CLA (
>> https://www.cla.co.uk/) – who intimidate organisations to buy licenses
>> from them by offering substantial rewards to whistleblowers to dob in their
>> employers (
>> http://www.scotsman.com/news/163-100k-for-nhs-copyright-whistleblowers-1-1795580
>> ).
>>

>> Of course, if all the scholarly literature were available on an open
>> access basis you wouldn’t need a CLA license…
>>

> Note also that only CC-BY, CC-BY-SA and CC0 allow automatic right of
> re-use. CC-NC is highly problematics and may forbid use for teaching in
> some countries.

Could you or anyone please elaborate on this? I'm aware that it's
problematic because far from all teaching is non-commercial these days, but
are there specific examples of countries and/or case studies where teachers
could not use materials published under a CC-NC licence?

Sander

*Sander van der Waal Projects Director  |  @sandervdwaal
<https://twitter.com/sandervdwaal>The Open Knowledge Foundation
<http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open Knowledgehttp://okfn.org/