[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Stuart Lawson stuart.a.lawson at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:32:34 UTC 2014

In the UK it's the Copyright Licensing Agency that higher education
institutions pay for a license to copy/re-use work for educational use. In
2013 the CLA had an income of £7,872,449 (
https://www.cla.co.uk/data/pdfs/accounts/cla_statutory_accounts_year_to_2013.pdf,
p.1). Not all of that was from educational institutions, but a lot of it
was. Another few million pounds that is only spend because the original
work wasn't openly licensed....

Stuart