[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

ANDREW Theo Theo.Andrew at ed.ac.uk
Fri May 2 13:48:09 UTC 2014

> I would think that copyright law always includes fair use policy which applies especially to use for educational purposes?

Not so – organisations (universities, hospitals) pay millions of pounds a year for the privilege of photocopying published material.

In the UK this activity is coordinated by the CLA (https://www.cla.co.uk/) – who intimidate organisations to buy licenses from them by offering substantial rewards to whistleblowers to dob in their employers (http://www.scotsman.com/news/163-100k-for-nhs-copyright-whistleblowers-1-1795580).

Of course, if all the scholarly literature were available on an open access basis you wouldn’t need a CLA license…

Theo Andrew | Scholarly Communications Team | Edinburgh University Library | George Square | Edinburgh EH8 9LJ