[Open-access] [open-science] CC Non-Commercial not suitable for teaching - Was: Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Reimer, Torsten F t.reimer at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 2 15:17:40 UTC 2014

To set this in context, German law seems to have a somewhat different interpretation of what commercial/professional/businesslike means. If you regularly blog, for instance, it could be argued that that constitutes a systematic, businesslike activity and therefore, like a business, you are required to have your full name and address on the blog. I am not sure if this is consistently enforced by the courts but it may give some background to why, in that tradition, even a non-commercial radio station could be looked at as businesslike and therefore affected by the NC license. Having said that, German lawyers have expressed doubts on whether this court ruling would be upheld by a higher court as it did not look at the wording of the CC license.

These different interpretations are a good reason for why NC is not really a suitable license – if you follow the argument of that court you’d have to conclude no German university would be allowed to touch NC content…

Torsten