[Open-access] Open Access resources

Michelle Brook michelle.brook at okfn.org
Tue May 27 14:32:28 UTC 2014

On 25 May 2014 01:53, Daniel Mietchen <daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com>wrote:

> There are a number of Open Access resources related to Wikimedia
> projects that tend (or at least attempt) to be engaging for
> non-experts. That includes the Open Access File of the Day (cf.
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Open_Access_File_of_the_Day )

I love this - how do you choose what is the open access file of the day? Is
there a process for it?

> Some rough measure of engagement is available through tools like
> http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/baglama2/#gid=97&month=201404 ,
> which calculates the number of page views across Wikimedia pages that
> contain images from a given category on Wikimedia Commons. By that
> measure, materials from Open Access sources receive on the order of
> one million page views per day across Wikimedia sites.

This is really the kind of thing that can help show the value of things
being OA  in terms of awareness raising.

> Furthermore, we are working on a system that would signal to Wikipedia
> users that a reference cited on Wikipedia is openly licensed, and
> whether any of the associated materials are available on Wikimedia
> projects (e.g. full text on Wikisource, media on Wikimedia Commons,
> and metadata on Wikidata):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access/Signalling_OA-ness

I've heard about this - I'm not sure it's quite right for this at present,
but love to hear more about it at some time.

> .
>
> In all that, humanities and social sciences are not very visible, even
> though we have tried to bring more such content onto Wikimedia
> platforms. If anyone reading this has ideas how to improve that
> situation, please share them.

Seconded! I'm sure we must have some HSS types on this list - although one
of my goals is to increase the number of these engaging in discussions
about OA.

> Some of these reuses may well be interesting or relevant in HSS contexts.
>
> So when looking for examples of Open Access in those fields, it may be
> worthwhile to start in areas that are media- or data-intensive but not
> hampered that much by copyright. One of these is the study of ancient
> scripts - epigraphy - and a good overview of Open Access activities
> related to that is available in the presentation by Brett Bobley from
> about 31:30 till 37:00 min in the video at
> http://live.worldbank.org/open-access-week-2013 (see also
> http://www.digitalepigraphy.org/ ).
>
> This is a brilliant  resource - and exactly what we're looking for. Thank
you ever so much!

> [...]
> http://wikimedia.org
>

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Douglas Carnall
> <dougie.carnall at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Michelle,
> >
> > You (and everyone else) are very welcome to help themselves to my tagged
> > public bookmarks collection on open access:
> >
> > https://pinboard.in/u:juliusbeezer/t:openaccess
> >
> > Naturally it's a somewhat idiosyncratically personal collection but feel
> > free to plunder. I've written a short blogpost introducing the collection
> > here:
> >

> http://juliusbeezer.blogspot.fr/2014/05/why-i-keep-public-bookmarks-and-where.html
> >
> > Regards to all,
> >
> > D.

> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> Summary - I'm looking for engaging open access resources for non
> experts,
> >> especially those aimed at humanities and social sciences. Can you help?
> >>
> >> I'm looking for open access resources which are engaging, and can help
> >> convince a sceptical academic audience about why they should support
> open
> >> access and care about academic publishing. These will go up on a couple
> of
> >> websites, including the Open Access Working Group, and a upcoming site
> >> targeted at engaging those who don't spend their life thinking about
> >> scholarly publication.
> >>
> >> I've been looking but I keep getting stuck. Much of what I find is
> rather
> >> dense, contains confusing language etc. I was hoping members of the
> working
> >> group might know of further examples/ideas.
> >>
> >> We are looking for materials that target humanities and social
> scientists,
> >> as well as scientists. These might be videos, flyers, posters, or
> slidedecks
> >> for talks that have been given (with appropriate licenses). I've been
> >> starting to collect these here:
> >>
> https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/12aPoB2VKoF7vkWN4gEm1hDzGnYaEU-bOYak4zrazEOA/edit#
> >>
> >> Any ideas *really* gratefully received. I'm sure lots of people on this
> >> mailing list know of resources they use when talking to academics about
> this
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> I'm also looking to understand what resources haven't been created, and
> >> what other gaps there are. What do people think they really could use
> for
> >> advocacy work? Again there is space for this on the spreadsheet - or
> feel
> >> free to ping me an email separately.
> >>
> >> For the time being, I'm mainly looking for resources in English. If you
> >> know of any interesting non-English resources, feel free to add them,
> but
> >> there will be a specific call for these in a few months time.
> >>
> >> If anyone has a problem with using Google Docs, let me know and I'll
> ping
> >> you across a .odt version of the document.

*Michelle Brook *

*Science and Open Access *

* | @MLBrook <https://twitter.com/MLBrook> *

* The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/> Empowering through Open