[Open-access] FOSsil Bank Update - November 2014

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:34:16 UTC 2014

<http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/fossil-bank-update-november-2014/>

Hi folks,

Here's another FOSsil Bank update.
Big News – Free & Open Works

The big news is that I'm slowly working on creating *Free & Open Works*,
the heir to the FOSsil Bank. Free & Open Works (FAOW) uses Semantic
MediaWiki, which allows entries to be submitted by filling in a form,
instead of expecting people to use a complicated links-and-tagging system
like Wikidot requires. It also has nice touches like being entirely free
and open source, allowing redirects, and having a host which is ad-free.

FAOW is limping along, and won't be ready to go before January, at least.
But please do check it out here: http://faow.referata.com/. I'm keen to
know what you think of it, especially if you're familiar with MediaWiki and
Semantic MediaWiki and might be able to give me a hand.

Because of the upcoming transition to FAOW, new FOSsil Bank entries just
have barebones details.
Living Libre updates

   -

   “Towards a Monopoly Marketplace” - summary of a law honours thesis
   suggesting certain copyright reforms:
   http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/towards-a-monopoly-marketplace-thesis-summary-part-1/
   -

   “Making My Own Piecepack” - photos of the piecepack that I designed:
   http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2014/11/04/making-my-own-piecepack/

#FundFreeCulture

If you spot a chance to #FundFreeCulture, shoot me an email and tweet about
it!

I tweet from https://twitter.com/living_libre

<https://twitter.com/living_libre>

*Mooltipass *is an offline FLOSS password keeper. (25 days left;
$51,551/$109,112; fixed funding):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mooltipass-open-source-offline-password-keeper

*Libre Calendar 2015 *has 12 artworks from different creators, and money
raised goes to them and FLOSS software developers. Art is CC BY. (21 days
left; €15 per calendar): http://librecal2015.libreart.info/en/

*pEp *is a project to deliver easy, FLOSS encryption for everyone (16 days
left; $41,196/$50,000):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pep-pretty-easy-privacy

*Headshot *is a psychological thriller from unglue.it. Has been released
under CC BY-SA, you can thank the author ($3 raised so far, from me):
https://unglue.it/work/140224/

*Issues in Open Data *discusses the implications of the Panton Principles.
CC BY – yet to be released, but successfully funded on unglue.it
(completed; $1,264/$1,200): https://unglue.it/work/140086/

*Crystal Picnic *is a FLOSS action RPG, to be released under a public
domain licence. (11 days left; $291/$1,500):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/crystal-picnic-open-source-action-rpg

*Mike Causey *makes game hacks, adventures and game add-ons on Patreon. CC
BY-SA. ($47/month so far): http://www.patreon.com/markcausey

*ccMixter *is a remix and sample site that's all CC licensed (not all FLO).
They're doing a fundraising drive to upgrade the site and keep it running.
(15 days left; flexible funding; $10,481/$44,444):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ccmixter-open-music-for-the-world

*No Country for Old Kobolds *is a CC BY hack of Dungeon World*, *a tabletop
RPG. Text will be CC BY (concluded; $11,596/$3,500):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53201108/no-country-for-old-kobolds-a-dungeon-world-hack

*Growstuff *is an open database for food growers everywhere. (concluded;
$6,778/$20,000; flexible funding):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/growstuff

*Kenney Land *is a game dev place in the Netherlands. (concluded;
$10,430/$40,000; flexible funding):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kenney-land-game-dev-learning-centre-in-limburg/x/219718

*AXIOM Beta *is the world’s first open digital cinema camera (concluded;
€204,213/€100,000; fixed funding):
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axiom-beta-the-first-open-digital-cinema-camera/x/219718
New FOSsil Bank Entries

All are free/open, at least in part.

*The Infinite Voyager *is a website that allows you to explore the media
sent into space on the Voyager II discs. (CC0)
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-infinite-voyager

 *Monkaa *is a cute short film made in Blender and GIMP and about a monkey
that develops superpowers. (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:monkaa

 *Class Warfare *is a supplement for tabletop RPG Dungeon World that lets
you create your own character classes. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:class-warfare

 *The Open Standard *is a new online newspaper from Mozilla. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-open-standard

 *3D Printed Piecepack *is the instructions to create your own 3D-printed
piecepack set. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:3d-printed-piecepack

 *Sketchfab *is a website of 3D models for viewing and download. They've
just started a download section, all of which are under CC licences of one
sort or another. http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:sketchfab

 *NASA *has some great public domain resources.
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/source:nasa

 *Material Icons *are vector symbols created by Google. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:material-icons

 *They Vote for You *displays the voting records of Australian
representatives. (ODB):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:they-vote-for-you

 *The State Library of Queensland *has made many of its public domain
images available for download in high resolution. (Public domain; CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:state-library-of-queensland

 *Graca's Dream *is a picturebook. (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:gracas-dream

 *Project: Ballad *is a webcomic. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:project-ballad

 *Headshot *is a psychological thriller on unglue-it. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:headshot

 *Issues in Open Research Data *explores the practical and theoretical
challenges of open data. (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:issues-in-open-research-data

 *Dark Dungeons *has a wiki in the works. (Public domain; OGL):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:dark-dungeons

 *Obrary *is a site for design specifications. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:obrary

 *WikiSeat *is the design for a seat. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:wikiseat

 *Ficlatte *is the replacement to microfiction site Ficly. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:ficlatte

 *Iron Edda *is a tabletop roleplaying game with Vikings and mecha. (CC
BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:iron-edda

 *Skitterphoto *posts high resolution public domain photos.
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:skitterphoto

 *Ways to Practice Responsible Development Data *has one of those titles
that says it all. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:ways-to-practice-responsible-development-data

Cheers,
Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*