[Open-access] [open-science] Inviting suggestions for "getting started with Open Science" for a session in Open Access Week

Raniere Silva raniere at ime.unicamp.br
Sat Sep 20 02:41:07 UTC 2014

Hi Kshitiz,

> Open Knowledge Community in Nepal is planning a half-a-day session for
> researchers and students to help them get started with Open Science /
> Collaborative R&D / Open Access as a part of Open Access Week celebrations
> here.

Awesome.

> Assuming the audience knows almost nothing about the topics, we are
> planning a session that will entice them to try openness in science.

Do you mean half-a-day session of hands on to starting doing open science,
correct?

> Please suggest examples of success in Open Science, tools to get started,
> methods, or anything at all that will help a beginner level or lay audience
> in Open Science.

Last month I run a half-a-day session about version at the Open Science
Conference in Brazil [1, 2]. If you would like try something in this direction
please contact admin at software-carpentry.org since they can try help you.

Another nice half-a-day session that I can suggest is Peter Murray-Rust's
"Content mining exercise for hands-on" [3].

Hope this helps,
Raniere

[1] http://www.cienciaaberta.net/reflexoes-sobre-o-encontro-ciencia-aberta-questoes-abertas/ (this one is in portuguese)
[2] http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2014/08/swc-at-rio.html