[Open-access] ORCiD and Libraries

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:54:49 UTC 2015

Thanks very much.

Dr Krichel points out that ORCiD is not OA. The purpose of ORCiD is for
each publication to be attributed to its right authors and not to someone
else with a similar sounding name.

In China there are tens of thousands of authors whose names as rendered in
English will be spelt as W A N G. Some of them may be physicists, others
molecular biologists and some others economists. Same is the case with
people with the name P A R K in Kore and S I N G H in India. ORCiD ensures
each paper is associated with the right author. Is that not a very useful
service?  Also, each author will have all his papers - and only his papers
- assigned to him.

Dr Manjunath refers to the research management tools and asserts that ORCiD
and VIVO put together is still incomplete. I do not get the point. But I
just saw this article in Wikipedia: <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_research_networking_tools_and_research_profiling_systems
>.
May be Dr Manjunath will find his answer there. ORCiD encompasses
Researcher ID and Scopus author ID in the sense all one needs to use is
ORCiD and it will automatically bring in data from the other two if the
individual instructs it to do so.

Best wishes.

Arun

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Vignoli Michela <Michela.Vignoli at ait.ac.at>
wrote:

> Hi Thomas and all,
>
> Are there good alternatives to ORCID? And is there a paper or something
> highlighting the pros and cons for using the one or the other?
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Best,
> Michela
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 10:41:14 +0000
> From: Thomas Krichel <krichel at openlib.org>
> To: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah.arunachalam at gmail.com>
> Cc: IAALD Information <info at iaald.org>, "open-access at lists.okfn.org"
>         <open-access at lists.okfn.org>, Prasanth Radhakrishnan
>         <prasanth1584 at gmail.com>, IASLIC Kolkata <iaslic.india at gmail.com>,
>         LIS-Forum <lis-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>, natarajan avadaiappan
>         <n.avadaiappan at gmail.com>, open-science at lists.okfn.org, jayarajan
>         <jayarajan45 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Open-access] ORCiD and Libraries
>

>   Subbiah Arunachalam writes
>
> > It gives a clear picture of ORCiD and its advantages.  And why all
> > of us - everyone in science and scholarship - should have it,
>
>   Maybe, but it's not open access.
>
> --
>
>   Cheers,
>
>   Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel