[Open-access] ORCiD and Libraries

Cameron Neylon cn at cameronneylon.net
Tue Jul 7 15:49:47 UTC 2015

The ORCID source code is available (mostly MIT licensed) at:

https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source

Regular data dump (although only annually at the moment):

http://support.orcid.org/knowledgebase/articles/223698-how-do-i-get-a-public-data-file-

And of course the public data is available from the public API endpoint as well all under a ccZero waiver. That’s only public data, but non-public data is that which is restricted by the user, not by anyone else. The restrictions are for privacy reasons. It is possible for a user to choose to only share with certain data with specific other parties but again that was a privacy consideration rather than anything else.

It’s also worth noting that ORCID is one of the few organisations that has adopted a set of governance and operations principles. The point of these principles was to do two things: seek to have representative governance (which is hard to achieve but good to work towards) and make it possible in principle to fork the entire project.

https://orcid.org/about/what-is-orcid/our-principles

It’s not perfect by any means. One could quibble about the makeup of the board (not enough researcher representatives, not enough geographic spread) the frequency of data dumps, the decisions about exactly what goes in the member’s SLA-backed API and what in the public one. But overall it does a pretty good job of being transparent and open at the same time (plenty do one or the other, very few do both).

Full disclosure: I have no current relationship with ORCID but was involved in early discussions in setting up and various committees looking at adoption in various places. I also applied for the job of Exec Director when it was first advertised (and didn’t get it, Laure has done a much better job than I could have).

Cheers

Cameron

Cameron Neyloncn at cameronneylon.net - http://cameronneylon.net

@cameronneylon - http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0068-716X