[Open-access] MIT Press Journals

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:33:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I agree with PMR that this is appalling.
I  think that the CC licenses should be used in cases where the author
retains the unrestricted copyright.
That is the kind of open access we need, other constructions with transfer
of copyright or exclusive publishing rights or transfer of commercial
rights to the publisher all lead to situations where sharing is compromised.
I have just published a blogpost at the DOAJ blogsite on the issue of
copyright in the open access setting:
 please share if you wish:
https://doajournals.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/copyright-and-licensing-part-2/

BTW  DOAJ recently decided that unrestricted copyright for the author is
one of the criteria for it's SEAL.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Flanagan,D <D.Flanagan at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I emailed MIT Press about an article that had a CC license but appeared to
> be behind a paywall.
>

> The response I received from MIT Press Journals was as follows:
>

> Creative Commons licenses work in tandem with copyright rather than as a
> substitute for it. On behalf of MIT, the MIT Press is the copyright holder
> of the articles found in IJLM and because of this we reserve the right to
> sell the articles.  However, the articles are sold with a CC BY-NC-ND
> license attached, which allows the user to share the work with others
> provided that they fully credit the IJLM article.  With this license users
> cannot change the article in any way or use it commercially.
>

> It seems a little against the spirit of the CC license and a rather odd
> choice for an academic publisher to make.
>

> I was trying to get this article to put in our institutional repository on
> behalf of an academic. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say
> about this…
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Dimity.
>

> *Dimity Flanagan*
>
> Library Assistant, Research Support Services, LSE Research Online
> <http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/>
>
> London School of Economics and Political Science
>
> 10 Portugal Street, London WC2A 2HD
>
> tel: 020 7955 6311 | email: D.Flanagan at lse.ac.uk

Tom Olijhoek PhD
Codex Consult  '*'Open Science for Development''*
Editor in Chief, Directory of Open Access Journals DOAJ.ORG
Consultant for Open Access
Consultant Soil Microbiology and Soil fertility
SKYPE tom.olijhoek
Twitter   @ccess
LinkedIn  http://nl.linkedin.com/in/tomolijhoek/