[Open-access] [open-science] Elsevier caught selling articles that should have been open access

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Tue Mar 10 20:11:56 UTC 2015

Since everyone started using the word "Open" so they wouldn't have to
use scary words like "Free" this is not surprising. Enabling this kind
of behaviour is exactly the reason that we have Open Source Software
instead of just Free Software. This was the whole motivation behind
"Open". After all, how can anyone make money from Free?

So maybe we should be advocating copyleft science. It's not the
commercial use that irks -- many times I'd be perfectly happy to buy a
nice bound copy of some good free papers, and good on anyone who can
make a business selling such books. It's the proprietariness that's
the problem.

-w