[Open-access] Who Owns Your Research: A Survey

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:36:36 UTC 2015

Who Owns Your Research: A Survey
J. Vitek, J. Gibbons for the SIGPLAN Executive Committee
March 19, 2015

https://janvitek.github.io/whoowns.html

Some fantastic quotes in this from computer scientists:

"[26] The lack of Open Access has already cost us Aaron Swartz and is one
of the biggest barriers to the continued viability of academia and
scholastic involvement in the 21st century."

"[120] Open access is absolutely essential - unread research is worthless
research, and we can't expect that the world as a whole will join the ACM
and pay DL subscription fees just so they can _check_ if one paper per year
is relevant to their problems. It exists in practice anyway, because
various kinds of unofficial preprints are scattered around the Internet,
but this practice undermines the importance of the DL.\n\nFinally, the
research is most often funded by the general public. The public should have
a right to it. In particular, keeping knowledge away from those with fewest
resources is counter to the spirit of scientific inquiry."

"[78] Paywalls are a most effective way to stop what would be useful
research from having any effect on the real world."

"[113] I hate the DL. It's not compatible with other major ways of
accessing scholarly articles, and the paywall is infuriating, because it
adds several additional steps (many of which fail frequently) for
authentication. It also means I can't easily share publications on social
media, because most people have no access to it. "

Computer scientists are my new favourite science community!

Please do share your own favourite quotes from this survey - there's a LOT
of great stuff in there.

Best,

Ross