[Open-access] How to Block Readcube and Why

Jan Velterop velterop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:23:39 UTC 2015

One may, of course, sell open access articles that are covered by CC-BY. (Not the CC-BY-NC ones, obviously).

However, if you do in the manner Elsevier seems to have done, I wonder if you’d fall foul of the stipulation "You may not apply legal terms or technological measures <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/#> that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.” (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>) – Particularly the technological measures. I wonder if charging online before you can see the article is an unwarranted technological restriction.

Charles? Your views on this?

Jan Velterop