[Open-access] Wiley have been caught incorrectly paywalling & selling thousands of articles

Peter Murray-Rust peter.murray.rust at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:08:30 UTC 2015

This has been going on for 5 years. Mike Taylor and I have documented it.
Heads of libraries (or national Library associations) should have:
* immediately publicly represented to the publisher that it was unacceptable
* threatened action if it re-occurred
* alerted their representatives
* consulted their lawyers

If they have not done all of these then they are not fully acting as
stewards of public money. Poor researchers such as Ross actually pay for
material that should be free. The opportunity costs have been huge, not
least in teaching. Academic groupd are paying for re-use of material which
should be free..

I would have expected Libraries (jointly?) to have set up processes to
monitor compliance on a large number of issues in scholarly publishing.
They have the money - 15 Billion USD - and if they acted in concert they
would be difficult to challenge. Wellcome Trust has led the way here in
exposing mis-sold (mis-paywalled) "open access" publications, and they
managed to get repaid. Ross has to act on his own to get redress from
Elsevier and ??Wiley.