[Open-access] Wiley have been caught incorrectly paywalling & selling thousands of articles

Rens van der Heijden rens.vanderheijden at uni-ulm.de
Thu Mar 26 18:11:25 UTC 2015

Dear all,

First of all, thank you for your efforts. Exposure is important, and as
you've written it leads to some kind of self-correcting behavior.

However, let me play devil's advocate for a moment.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com
<mailto:ross.mounce at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Wiley recently (legitimately) took control of a society journal called
> Limnology and Oceanography from the Association for the Sciences of
> Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO). The association makes clear in its
> guidelines for the journal that all articles are placed into Free
> Access after three years:
> http://aslo.org/lo/toc/
First of all, _free access_ does not necessarily imply _only free
access_ or _free access and selling it is forbidden_. I've tried to
access the link on this page to get more information (license or so),
but it looks as though the page no longer exists (it directs me to a
site map). I checked one of the Journal's OA links (at Wiley, so the
source is not objective) and picked a random article from the 80s. This
article has the notice:
© 1985, by the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and
Oceanography, Inc.

Thus, it seems as though the copyright belongs to the ASLO; depending on
how the contract between Wiley and ASLO works, it may be possible that
Wiley was (also) allowed to sell the articles. At the very least, it
isn't explicitly forbidden anywhere. This highlights the importance of
*clearly* identifying open access rules both between editors and
publisher, as well as publisher and reader (which has been a problem
exposed here in the past).

On 26.03.2015 18:29, Chen-Yi Tu wrote:
> As a ASLO member, I do not think ASLO give Wiley permission to sell
> the open-access article. This is completely unacceptable.
It would be really great if we could have a look at the copyright
transfer form here. Something like this should be mentioned there
explicitly. Vagueness there means (IANAL, don't take my word for it)
that there may not be a legal basis to blame Wiley here.

To summarize my point: it is important for us not just to expose these
faults, but also to create awareness of these issues with editors, so
that "loopholes" like those I've described above do not allow a
publisher to get away with it.

Greetings,
Rens van der Heijden
Ulm University