[Open-access] Wiley have been caught incorrectly paywalling & selling (Dirk Verdicchio)

Jan Velterop velterop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:26:10 UTC 2015

For a 'gold' CC-BY article, the original publisher is morally and legally obliged to ensure perpetual open access. Anybody else can sell a CC-BY article. Although it's unethical and immoral to hide its CC-BY status at the point of sale.

Did I gather that Wiley wasn't the original publisher (of at least some of these examples)? If they took over the original publisher, that should have included their legal open access obligations. If they didn't, and just made the articles available on their own site at a price -- which is legal -- then they are only to blame if they hid the open access status and availability of an open access version of the article before taking payment. That would be a serious offence in many jurisdictions, beyond just morally indefensible.

They could redeem themselves by immediately stopping the practice and getting a refund to anyone who bought any of these articles, without further ado or form-filling demands and the like.

Jan Velterop

Sent from Jan Velterop's iPhone. Please excuse for brevity and typos.