[Open-access] A Shared Vision for Scholarly Communication

Peter Kraker peter.kraker at gmx.at
Wed Jun 15 15:32:27 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Open Science has the potential to significantly improve the production
and dissemination of scholarly knowledge. But there is no commonly
shared vision that describes the system of scholarly communication that
we want to create.

Between April 2015 and June 2016, members of the Open Access Network
Austria (OANA) working group "Open Access and Scholarly Communication"
met in Vienna to discuss this matter. The main outcome of our
considerations is a set of twelve principles that represent the
cornerstones of an open scholarly communication system. We published
them today under the title "The Vienna Principles: A Vision for
Scholarly Communication in the 21st Century":
https://zenodo.org/record/55597

With this document, we are hoping to inspire a widespread discussion
towards a shared vision for scholarly communication. We welcome
feedback, criticism, and hints on what we may have missed. You can
annotate and comment on the document on our website:
http://viennaprinciples.org/

The raw text can be found on Github:
https://github.com/pkraker/vienna-principles

We are looking forward to your feedback!

Best,
Peter